Monday, May 23, 2005

I feel like a horrible person

Today we took our cat, Noah, to the humane society.

It was such a hard thing to do. We had made the decision that he could not live with us any longer after the third bite on Alyssa and after the umteenth time he peed on our new furniture.

I am absolutely miserable today. When we took him, I made Gary go inside. They told Gary that if the cat has bitten a child, they won't even try to put him up for adoption. When Gary came out and told me that, I couldn't do it. We sat in the car for a half an hour crying, trying to exhaust every possible idea. We had already been through this. We have already tried to see if anyone wanted to give him a good home. But noone wants to adopt a cat who has bitten a child and has peed on furniture.

When Gary went back inside, the ladies said she saw how upset we were over our cat and the decision they had made and told us that they would give him a chance. She said that she does have to put he is not good with children and that he has bitten, but she will give him a fighting chance for someone to adopt him.

In a way, I am soo relieved. I am relieved that I can hope he will find a good home, hopefully with an older lady who will take great care of him. Someone who can give him the attention that he needs and deserves.

It is really so hard though. It was hard to come home and see his pictures. (Yes, we have his pictures in frames). It will be hard to not hear him meow every night when it is time to be fed. It will be hard for a while. I feel like maybe I wimped out too soon, but I keep going back to when is it enough? How many bites? How much money thrown away on furniture? When it is enough?

So, please hope with me! Hope that Noah will find the home he deserves with someone who can love him just as much as we really did (and still do).

5 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Me said...

You hang in there. We had a dog that we had to get rid of because he nipped two different people and took chunks out of their lips! Luckily, my brother-in-law took him. He's a good dog, but really makes me leery around people. I wasn't quite so attached with him, but, because my husband was, I really felt bad. At least we didn't have to put him down.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, Linda, I'm really sorry about Noah! You aren't a horrible person--you have to look out for your baby first! Someone will adopt him--think positive!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

So sorry to hear about Noah. It must be though having to give him up. But your child and home are more important. I am sure some lonely little old lady will adopt him. Just like Laina said, think positive - I know it's hard.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Noah. It will all work out. You did what's best for your little girl!!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey you have to protect your daughter. I would have gotten rid of the cat after the first bite. I hope Noah finds a good (child free) home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home